The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) requires certain employers to submit a report categorizing their employees by race or ethnicity, gender, and job category. This demographic survey, called the EEO-1, is due by March 31. All employers with 100 or more employees are required to file this report.Employers also must file if the organization is any of the following:
- Owned by or affiliated with another company and the entire enterprise has 100 or more employees
- A federal government prime contractor or first-tier subcontractor with 50 or more employees and with a contract or subcontract amounting to $50,000 or more
- Serving as a depository of government funds in any amount
- A financial institution that is an issuing and paying agent for US Savings Bonds and Notes
If required to file, employers should follow these guidelines:
- Use employment data from one pay period in October, November, or December of 2017.
- For a single-establishment company, submit only one EEO-1 data report. For a multi-establishment company, submit a separate report for each location.
- Identify the race or ethnicity of employees based on how they identify themselves. If they decline to self-identify, then use employment records or visual observation.
- Include both full-time and part-time employees.
- Include employees who telecommute in the survey for the l