Empowering The Mobile Worker
December 2, 2014
By Jennifer Roth, Vice President of Marketing
Mobile worker…road warrior…telecommuter…technomads; these are all monikers for individuals who comprise today’s agile workforce. As you can see, they all have a slightly different focus and meaning, which begs the question: just who is the agile worker and what does he or she need to be “mobile” and productive?
More than 80% of employers report cost-related benefits of the mobile, or agile, worker. So how can you maximise this new workforce?
3 Steps for Maximising the Mobile Workforce
Step 1: Ensure a normalised company infrastructure exists for all employees. If in-office employees use a certain service or asset, employees who work virtually should have access to it, too. This is true as much for non-core tasks as it is for core business activities. For example, make it easy for mobile workers to schedule meetings or reserve workspace at a company facility. Workspace and workforce management solutions such as time and labour management should be seamless for agile workers.
Step 2: Be intentional when connecting agile workers to the company’s overall culture, internal communications, and access to benefit and HR-related tools. The agile worker should not experience alienation from the on-premise workforce or physical locations. Deployment of mobile-enabled workforce and workplace management solutions help empower agile workers and maximise their productivity.
Step 3: Frequently assess your organisation’s ability to accommodate the demands of an agile workforce. Consider the acronym FACET: Functional, App-enabled, Connected, Easy, Technology.
- Functional: Are core business and administrative processes fully functional for mobile workers?
- App-enabled: Do your technology solution providers have mobile app strategies as part of their core product offerings?
- Connected: How do your mobile workers stay connected to the organisation’s corporate culture? Do they feel integrated within the entire workforce, or are they out-of-sight, out-of-mind?
- Easy: Does your organisation make being a mobile worker as easy and productive as possible?
- Technology: Do you manage the workforce with technology and processes that enable the greatest benefit, flexibility and productivity?
Take the right steps to get the most from the agile workforce at your organisation. When you embrace the benefits that mobile workers offer, you’ll put your organisation in a better competitive position as mobility continues to grow.
- The Mobile Worker
- Where your organisation fits on the mobile spectrum
- Supporting a mobile workforce
- Mobile workforce management tools
Jennifer Roth, Vice President of Marketing
Jennifer Roth joined Asure Software in 2012 and provides the company with 20 years of marketing, communications, branding, product marketing, product management and executive communication and leadership expertise. Previously, Jennifer served as founder of JKR Consulting Inc., where she specialised in creating end-to-end marketing strategies for global companies. She also held marketing roles at Ceridian, CIGNA Behavioral Health and United Health Group. Jennifer has an MBA from St. Thomas University, St. Paul, Minn., and a BA from the College of St. Benedict, St. Joseph, Minn. She is a member of the American Marketing Association.